16 Reasons Why SEO Fails
- Business model constraints i.e. the business model is not aligned with SEO campaigns
- There is no buy-in from top management or key decision makers within the business
- Lack of SEO knowledge/appreciation by key stakeholders
- Lack of SEO education which leads to expectations not being met or not being aligned with the business
- Sudden change in priorities and focus of key stakeholders
- Lack of an SEO strategy that is aligned to the business strategy
- Competition appreciate SEO and therefore implements and invests in SEO at a faster pace.
- There is bureaucracy i.e. too much red tape which affects SEO execution
- SEO recommendations/best practice are not implemented on time and correctly.
- Lack of a dedicated SEO budget to pay for SEO tools, SEO content and link building activities
- Lack of technical resources to implement technical SEO.
- No flexibility in implementing off-page SEO i.e. pr / marketing strategy affecting SEO off-page efforts
- No support from Web designers, developers to implement technical SEO recommendations especially during website redesign or migration.
- Not enough technical skills to implement SEO.
- No technical flexibility to implement or conduct SEO experiments due to platform constraints.
- Reliability issues: server issues, website security, etc.
Lack of SEO expertise results in :
- Failure to identify and know the cause of a drop-in or lack of growth of organic traffic
- Failure to know how search engine algorithm updates affect site rankings
- Failure to identify and recover from manual actions/penalties from search engines
- Failure to show how SEO is helping the business meet its strategic objectives.
- Inability to conduct SEO site audits to identify SEO issues.
- Inability to prioritize which SEO issues need to be resolved first and why.
- Failure in communicating and coordinating SEO efforts.