Pinterest is NOT just a social media platform. It is a search engine for images and videos. Pinterest is a huge driver of website traffic across all industries, and is responsible for 5% of all referral traffic.
There are 4 ways your content or Pins might be discovered:
- The Following Tab: allows Pinterest users to see content from people they follow
- Hashtag Feed: allows Pinterest users to discover content using #hashtags. Hashtags are ordered by freshness.
- The Smart Feed (Home Feed): The “Smart Feed” is the Pinterest algorithm that determines what a user sees in their Pinterest home feed. The Pinterest algorithm shows the best Pins first vs newest Pins. The Pins shown in the smart feed are from: saved Pins from the people you follow,related posts and pins from your interests.
- Pinterest Search
Pinterest Search Ranking Factors
There are 4 factors which influence whether or not your Pins show up on Pinterest:
- Domain Quality: This is Pinterest’s idea of the quality of your website. Pinterest sees how popular Pins from your website are and this influences the rankings of your Pins
- Pin Quality: Quality of the actual Pins.
- Pinner Quality: This is Pinterest’s idea of your activity on their platform and how beneficial it is to their users.
- Relevance: As a search engine, Pinterest will evaluate your keywords (descriptions, titles etc) and other factors to determine if your Pins should rank highly in the Pinterest search results pages.